Saturday, September 14, 2013

Crafty In The Kitchen

In spirit of the A&M and Alabama game, this morning for breakfast I made a maroon out smoothie! Who said you can't eat healthy on game day?! The ingredients were orange juice, frozen blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries with a hint of celery and kale. If you ever want to make a maroon smoothie, try different combinations of red and purple berries.


Additionally, after eating out several times this week for lunch and dinner, I have been craving fresh, home made meals. Eating out in College Station is a little more limited in raw, vegan, and vegetarian choices than Dallas is. Being here makes me terribly miss my favorite restaurant in Dallas, Be Raw. Therefore, for dinner tonight, to celebrate the Aggies putting up a good fight against Alabama, I made an inspired Be Raw dish.

The inspiration came from one of my favorite Be Raw dishes - the California pizza, which has cashew cheese, basil pesto, sweet onions, tomatoes, pineapple pico de gallo, topped with avocado slices. Using what I had on hand, I made pizza slices of my own using organic whole grain crackers, mashed avocado, and mango pico de gallo! I wish I had a dehydrator to make my own crackers, but the organic whole grain crackers were still delicious! Additionally, when I find time, I want to experiment making my own cashew cheese and pesto using my Vitamix! In the meantime, check out this yummy recipe I crafted! 

The Scrumptious Ingredients:
-Whole Grain crackers (or any crackers of choice)
-Mashed Avocado spread (try different mix in's like fresh garlic!)
-Mango Pico De Gallo (tomato, mango, cilantro, sweet onions, red onions)

Mango Pico De Gallo
and Avocado Spread on
Whole Grain Crackers


To top of my amazing meal, I enjoyed some fresh figs for dessert! Figs, the fruit used to make fresh jam and jelly, are super sweet and juicy. My grandma has a bountiful fig tree in her backyard and spoils us with fresh Fig jam. It's truly a treat! If you open a fig just right, it greets you with love in the shape of a heart. The true love it gives your body is its countless benefits, including potassium, calcium, fiber, and much more. Indulge in some sweetness :)

Fig Heart

On a final note, I wanted to share a William Shakespeare quote that I love:

"Our bodies are our gardens - our wills are our gardeners." 

Just as a garden has to be tended to and cared for, our bodies need the same, loving treatment. Find the will to eat healthy foods and your body will flourish! 

Cheers to fresh foods!

No comments:

Post a Comment