Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Yoga Week 1 Reflection

When do we ever take time to listen to our bodies?
 
We live in an age where we eat mindlessly, sit mindlessly watching TV, and run through our busy days mindlessly. By the time we lie down to sleep at night, our minds start whirling with thoughts because it has been shut off all day.
 
When we eat mindlessly, we often ignore the healthy foods our body is actually craving. In the mood for something sweet? Your body is trying to tell you to eat fruit, not candy. In the mood for something salty? Your body is trying to tell you to eat veggies, not chips. Recently, I have taken an active endeavor to listen more to the energy my body needs, which is why I have been reflecting on my food intake. Food = Energy.
 
Furthermore, when we sit mindlessly watching TV, browsing the internet, or playing on some technological gadget, we ignore our body’s needs to be active, to go outside, to walk, to bike, to do yoga.
 
 
Yes, yoga is key. Yoga is the ultimate practice of listening to the body. In my first Fall yoga class, I took the time to listen to my body during our initial meditation and final Shavasana. During our initial meditation, I had to concentrate on my 3-part breath starting from my stomach. It was very challenging because I often go through my days with shallow, quick breaths due to my busy, hectic schedule. Furthermore, because I am usually hunched over studying or listening to a lecturer, I noticed it was challenging to hold my back straight for long as my spine tired easily.
 
 
Continually, when I participate in yoga classes, I am reminded that I want to set a goal to meditate for 10 minutes every day either in the morning or in the evening. Hopefully, I can accomplish this goal by the end of my Fall yoga class!
 
 
At the end of our yoga practice, in Shavasana, I noticed the muscles my body had engaged during the practice and the amazing relaxing feeling of letting my body fall limp and recharge. Yoga, health, and happiness are closely interlinked, which is why I look forward to my Fall yoga class in benefitting my mind, body, and spirit! 
 






 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment