Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Energizing Elixirs!

I am absolutely in love with my Vitamix! I can throw almost anything in and make it taste delicious! Or, maybe I just absolutely love smoothies. Either way, I have discovered a new trick to making my smoothies. Instead of using a nut milk, try using fresh squeezed Orange Juice from Whole Foods! If you have not tried Whole Food's fresh squeezed juices, you have got to get one! My current favorite is the Green-Aid, which tastes just like lemonade but it is packed full of healthy greens! I make an extra trip from our typical outing to Kroger or Sprouts to buy Whole Food's fresh juices, particular a half gallon of their amazing, fresh squeezed, no pulp Orange Juice! You can just drink it straight and enjoy it, but I also like using it as a base in my smoothies.

Sadly, I did not take a picture of the first smoothie experiment I made with orange juice and I have not gotten the same ingredients yet to make it again, but let me tell you what ingredient combination sparked my obsession with orange juice in my smoothie. I was surprised how well it blended all the flavors together!

Tropical Kale Smoothie
- fresh orange juice
- mango
- cherries
- lots of KALE!
- spoonful of almond butter
- Cocoa Via Summer Citrus powder

Adding any nut butter tends to cut the green-ness flavor if you were wondering. I also enjoy Cocoa Via's flavanol powder packs because they boost the flavor even more, but they are totally not necessary.

The second smoothie I made with orange juice was also a hit! Ignore my dad's Crown Royal glass. I just love putting smoothies in fun glasses for the family, since they are more inclined to try them that way!

Citrus & Greens Smoothie
- orange juice
- kale
- spinach
- green nutritional powder from Amazing Grass
- frozen tropical fruit mix (pineapple, mango, strawberry, grapes)
- spoonful of coconut peanut butter


Put as much or as little of each ingredient as you want. If you like a more liquid-y smoothie, add more juice or simply water so you don't go overboard on the orange juice flavor! I usually use about 1 cup of orange juice if I am serving 1-2 people.

Third and last orange juice smoothie of the week I made for my brother, who came home from football practice one day desperately in need of a recovering, re-energizing elixir! Thus, the Antioxidant and Greens smoothie was created!


Antioxidants & Greens Smoothie
- orange juice
- kale
- spinach
- goji berries
- raw pumpkin seeds
- frozen antioxidant fruit blend (pomegranate, cherries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries)
- hemp seeds
- nut butter
- avocado
- water (if needed)



Let me explain why I added such a random mix of ingredients. To help Sam rebuild and recover, each ingredient has a customized job. Pumpkin seeds for iron and orange juice (vitamin C) to aid iron absorption. Dark leafy greens help alkalize our pH. Antioxidants from goji berries and the frozen blend help fight the exercise-induced free radical damage. Avocado and hemp seeds (or chia seeds) yield omega-3's. Nut butter adds a little protein and, along with the orange juice, blends the flavors nicely. Food can be your best friend to becoming a healthy, strong individual! No margaritas for me. My type of drink is a healthy, energizing elixir! And, my type of shot is a wheatgrass shot (try out the ones at Jamba Juice now)!

Cheers to health!
~Alexis












No comments:

Post a Comment