Thursday, August 8, 2013

Nutty & Fruity Quinoa

Quinoa is pronounced "keen-wa." I was definitely saying it wrong for the first few weeks I discovered this nutritious food! Quinoa is one of the best protein sources for vegetarians, vegans, and the like. It is a complete protein, which means it provides all the essential amino acids our body cannot make internally on its own! Quinoa is gluten free (yay!), typically available organic (yay!), dates back to the Incan civilization of South Africa (cool!), and comes in many different colors (from white, to black, to red). Quinoa can be easily substituted for rice or added to any meal. For breakfast, top it with berries. For dinner, top it with veggies. Even sprinkle some nuts on top. This week, I made my brother and I a delicious quinoa bowl for lunch one day! A delicious, nutritious, and great for a sweet tooth! Check it out!

Nutty & Fruity Quinoa

Nutty & Fruity Quinoa
-red quinoa
-pumpkin seeds
-pecans
-dried cherries
-chopped medjool dates (nature's candy!)
-cinnamon


After cooking the quinoa, top it with the remaining ingredients and enjoy! Simple and quick!


A second scrumptious quinoa recipe I made consisted of a veggie combination. I love veggies! The basic combination was white quinoa with roasted balsamic mushrooms, arugula, and some seasoning like garlic, salt, and turmeric from my nearby Whole Foods Market. Why this combination? Well, earlier in the week, I had indulged in a flatbread pizza at Houlihan's with my grandma at lunch one day. The flatbread was topped with roasted balsamic mushrooms and arugula. So, I decided to go home and satisfy my craving for that delicious flatbread with a quinoa base instead! For leftovers the next day, I even threw in some corn, tomatoes, and black beans. Either way is delicious! Add extra veggies for pizzazz! (Extra veggies never hurt nobody) Plus, I love the explosion of flavor in my mouth :)


Mushroom, Arugula Quinoa
with extra veggies!


Whether you want a sweeter meal or a more satisfying veggie meal, quinoa combinations can do the trick! Eat healthier, be happier! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment